Summer Solstice

Tuesday, 21 June 2011

Summer Solstice



Today, Tuesday, June 21st, is the Summer Solstice.

Just what, precisely, does that mean?

In a few words: it is the longest day of the year in terms of daylight.

From this day forward, the amount of light per day will diminish towards Fall and then Winter.

I love every season with the very specific exception of Summer.

Summer, to me, means agonizing heat, some humidity, clogged roadways (in my case, up I-80), melanoma, carcinoma, my cancerous past, screaming kids, bawling infants, skyrocketing gas prices, rude vacationers, and long days to cover my fellow supervisors and deputies who customarily take the bulk of their time-off in this period.

Which is why, when I vacation, I do so in late October, December, January and February. When the fewest number of persons are on the roads or in hotels or in my way. And -- oddly enough -- hotel/motel rates are at their lowest. Imagine that.

I enjoy the rain, the fog, the snow, the cold, the sleet, the massive waves at the ocean, the horizontal snowstorms in the Sierras, the lack of people to mar my view of nature.

Predominantly, I hate people. If you vacation in Summer I likely hate you. I avoid you like the plague. You can deal with your fellow mindless locusts buzzing about with your ilk and kids. You can clean up your kids' vomit and snot. Leave the booth at the restaurant as though a war was fought there -- that's how inconsiderate you are. Bring your squalling horde of infants to the movie, dining place, outdoor venue I'd like to otherwise enjoy with my wife.

You can keep Summer. I stay at home and I work in the shade.

Which is why I can't wait for the Summer Solstice to subsume and grow smaller. Which means: people will be, by-and-by, going away.

This always makes me smile. It's all downhill from here.

BZ
P.S.
YearNorthern HemisphereSouthern Hemisphere
2000June 21, 01:48December 21, 13:37
2001June 21, 07:38December 21, 19:21
2002June 21, 13:24December 22, 01:14
2003June 21, 19:10December 22, 07:04
2004June 21, 00:57December 21, 12:42
2005June 21, 06:46December 21, 18:35
2006June 21, 12:26December 22, 00:22
2007June 21, 18:06December 22, 06:08
2008June 20, 23:59December 21, 12:04
2009June 21, 05:46December 21, 17:47
2010June 21, 11:28December 21, 23:38
2011June 21, 17:16December 22, 05:30
2012June 20, 23:09December 21, 11:12
2013June 21, 05:04December 21, 17:11
2014June 21, 10:51December 21, 23:03
2015June 21, 16:38December 22, 04:48
2016June 20, 22:34December 21, 10:44
2017June 21, 04:24December 21, 16:28
2018June 21, 10:07December 21, 22:23
2019June 21, 15:54December 22, 04:19
2020June 20, 21:44December 21, 10:02


2 Comments:

Links to this post:

Create a Link
<< Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment