I am in Russia meeting with business, government and scientific leaders about opportunities for partnership between our two countries. One of the most important areas where we need to work together is on nuclear power and nuclear security.
In a speech I delivered earlier today, I mentioned a letter that Albert Einstein wrote to President Roosevelt in 1939, at the dawn of the atomic era. Einstein's letter correctly predicted that nuclear power would become "a new and important source of energy in the immediate future." But he went on to alert the President to another possibility -- less certain, but much more ominous -- that Germany was seeking to create "extremely powerful bombs of a new type," capable of destroying an entire port and some of the city that surrounds it.
In a speech I delivered earlier today, I mentioned a letter that Albert Einstein wrote to President Roosevelt in 1939, at the dawn of the atomic era. Einstein's letter correctly predicted that nuclear power would become "a new and important source of energy in the immediate future." But he went on to alert the President to another possibility -- less certain, but much more ominous -- that Germany was seeking to create "extremely powerful bombs of a new type," capable of destroying an entire port and some of the city that surrounds it.
0 comments:
Post a Comment