Read Apple's response on its tax practices here

Monday, 14 May 2012

"Even among tech companies, Apple's rates are low," The New York Times notes in an article that spotlights the company's strategy of sidestepping some taxes.
From setting up central offices in low tax havens such as Nevada, Luxembourg and the British Virgin Islands, to its use of a complex tax structure known as "The Double Irish," Apple has relentlessly exploited legal tax loopholes.
While I can't exactly tell you how the movie "Prometheus" ends, I can confidently predict an unhappy real world ending if companies like Facebook, Google and Apple continue to amass such unnatural power and wealth.
Harvesting asteroids, creating a radically transparent virtual world state and replacing workers with intelligent robots are all very well, but unless our big tech companies recognize their social responsibilities, I fear that our real future could be as disturbing as the science fictional one presented in Ridley Scott's blockbuster.
• Follow @ajkeen on Twitter
The opinions expressed in this commentary are solely those of Andrew

0 comments:

Post a Comment