my favorite moment involving him was a small one; I wonder how many people remember it.
In 2008, late in the season, the Cubs were playing the Brewers at home. Wood was trying to close a one- or two-run lead in the ninth, but the Crew had the bases loaded and Fielder at bat. As I recall, it was a pretty tough AB; lots of foul-offs, etc. Then Wood threw what might have been the single greatest pitch I’ve ever seen — I think he described it as a “slurvy curvy sort of thing.”
If you open the dictionary to “frozen in your tracks,” you’ll find a picture of Fielder’s reaction to the pitch. He never had a chance on that third strike, and the game was over.
That was pretty cool.
In 2008, late in the season, the Cubs were playing the Brewers at home. Wood was trying to close a one- or two-run lead in the ninth, but the Crew had the bases loaded and Fielder at bat. As I recall, it was a pretty tough AB; lots of foul-offs, etc. Then Wood threw what might have been the single greatest pitch I’ve ever seen — I think he described it as a “slurvy curvy sort of thing.”
If you open the dictionary to “frozen in your tracks,” you’ll find a picture of Fielder’s reaction to the pitch. He never had a chance on that third strike, and the game was over.
That was pretty cool.
0 comments:
Post a Comment